POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available : Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available Server Time
17 May 2024 07:47:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
From: Chris Cason
Date: 26 May 2009 02:58:21
Message: <4a1b930d$1@news.povray.org>
BobH wrote:
> Looks good! The install asked me to uninstall the previous one so that
> answers a question I was wondering as to whether or not a backup was
> possible same as earlier 3.6 installs. Guessing the idea is clean installs
> only...?

This isn't really under my control, it's a Windows Installer thing, so yes
- clean installs only. It's also why I use a different install path (even
on Windows XP); there's no way for me to tell Windows Installer to backup
the old files, especially files that weren't installed by it (as 3.61c did
not use WI).

> Got to say it... program and scene file location is bothersome to me.

I don't like it either. I feel uncomfortable having everything in the one
place (which is why I fixed it in 3.7). However the code refers to the
install path in many places and since the codebase is now so different
between v3.6 and v3.7 I'd basically have to do all the changes over again.

But thinking of it, I really think you're right. I might just have to go in
and do it.

> wants to go elsewhere and the hidden scenes location is lost. I presume this
> is in part due to the install finding the file open location where 3.6.1c
> was last at.

This would be due to the shared registry settings.

-- Chris